The Epidemiological Society of Nigeria (EPiSON) was formed to facilitate communication and co-operation among multidisciplinary individuals engaged in practice, research and teaching of epidemiology throughout Nigeria. It also aims to encourage the development and use of epidemiological methods in al fields of health including social, clinical, community and preventive medicine as well as health policy formulation and evaluation.
1. The International Epidemiological Association (IEA) which has more than 1500 members in over 100 different countries . The society enjoys a joint membership status with the IEA.
2. The Africa Epidemiological Federation (AEF) which is a federation of epidemiology associations from the AFRO region of the World health organization
Aims and Objectives
The aims of the society are:
1. To facilitate communication and co-operation among multidisciplinary individuals engaged in practice, research and teaching of epidemiology throughout Nigeria (as distinct from single or individual disciplines, subjects, professions, or occupations),
2. To engage in the development and use of epidemiological methods in all fields of health including social, community and preventive medicine and health services administration.
3. To collect and analyze information on effective epidemiological methods/ strategies and approaches and to promote such strategies through the exchange of information and ideas among the members
4. To encourage volunteerism (the involvement of volunteers) in support of epidemiology and provide the means by which it can be put into effect.
5. To engage in other activities that would promote the attainment of objectives set above.
Activities of the society:
scientific meetings and seminars, publication of journals, reports, monographs, transactions or books, promoting research collaborations and networking among members